Tuesday, 22 February 2011

The bare foot assessment.






I had my assessment last week so I thought I should write up a bit about how that went. I presented without my shoes on in an attempt to calm myself down, I thought it might relax me, shoes being quite formal. It didn't, I was still a nervous wreck. But on the whole I believe it was mostly positive, I talked a little bit about how I planned to deploy my work and how different circumstances could affect the overall reception of the piece. I decided to show the 'till roll' that Id been writing on, I placed it on a windowsill and let the falling words drop and gather in a pile on the floor. I wanted to display it on some form of bar to allow some interaction with the piece, putting it on a bar would actively allow the viewer to spin the roll and let the words pile up on the floor. I bought a toilet roll dispenser from wilkinsons but upon opening it realised that it's application onto a wall required drilling and wall plugs and what not. I am a woman of simple diy skills so I ultimately decided to scrap that idea. Miguell suggested that I give the piece a little extra something, he wanted me to, for example, leave a line exposed for the audience to read, or change colour. Just changing something a little to keep the audience engaged with the piece. The idea of leaving a line exposed got me thinking about the thought behind it, would I actively have to decide and select which particular thought I left exposed, although i'd like to believe I could leave any random thought revealed, I can't help but feel there would be some subliminal influence as to which one I would let the audience read.

Alot of the feedback I recieved from tutors and fellow students was about how I would display the piece, as in, where and different ways I could deploy with room for spinning merrily. Someone actually threw the idea out of actually putting it in the toilet, to see whether anyone used it. Then someone talked about turning it into a perfomance, I.e. writing during the exhibition, I do like this idea but the socialable side of me wants to be fleeting around the space talking to others rather then being on the outside looking in. The SU group are in the process of arranging another meeting with Jess to have a second look around the place and hopefully get a better grasp on where and how we all wish to display our gorgeous work. The group is ever expanding, we must be on about twelve members now.

I'm actually quite pleased with the way everyones work seems to have channelled, there is going to be a varied collection of work for the exhibition but mostly all encompassing the theme of 'self awareness' which is a bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment