Sunday, 16 January 2011

Freelance/Business Day

So the freelancing day sounded interesting, I was ready to be engaged with the business world, glasses and note pad at the ready. As the day progressed, people came and gave speeches. The words 'public relations', 'resourcing', and 'enterprise' flying out of peoples mouths all over the place. I felt that as engaging as the business world is, it's not particularly useful for myself. I am not driven by money making. It appeared that this is what the day was about, this is what you need to to do use your skills for making money. It would be silly of me to say that art isn't about money, when it is, it's a huge business that makes millions. An indulgent business that can thrive on the simplest human trait of 'liking something that is nice on the eyes'. But personally I don't have a great desire to make lots of money, I'm driven by happiness. Which is the cheesiest thing i have ever said, and I'm cringing that I'm actually going to publish this post. I enjoyed listening to ways in which business can work for the creative minded and how projects can produce a comfortable income.

Art is a portion of my life that nestles in with other ambitions of mine for the future, it's an indulgence, it's an escapism, although sections of this particular fine art course are highly articulated and dense with concept and rife with meaning, when I go to a gallery and engage with some works, it's a welcome moment of still. A moment where I can just enjoy being in the presence of something that makes my eyes happy. If for no other reason then I enjoy the colours or that it reminds me of a joyous memory. 

So to churn this relationship I have with art into a structured business box is not what I want. I can appreciate the relevance of this day to others, but for me, it has reaffirmed my original belief of why I pursue art. To escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment