Crude powerpoint presentations are what I live for.
My assessment was with Miguel and Peter, I was a little apprehensive to say the least as Peter knows little of my practice but regardless I plowed through my poorly constructed PowerPoint and said what I needed to say.
Something that was brought to my attention was that I need to remove myself from my work to be able to reflect on its perceived reception. I get so caught up in my own relationship with it's concept that I forget to recognise it's potential as something purely aesthetic and a piece of visual information.
Taking myself out of the context, and what it means to me, I can see that a lot of my work is Representative of 'the line' which in itself is a symbol of control. The wool, the drawings and the writing all form linear patterns, moving from one polar to the other. They are restricted shapes and channel in such a way that allows for a beginning and an end.
Returning to the idea of concept, my whole train of my activity circles the theme of control. All of which are my own personal battles with forces within the world that I perceive as threatening, such as sex, relationships, personality and emotions. Trying to claw back stability by dealing with these forces in a creative way and theraputic way. I could almost likend my practise to autism, using different ways to try and cope with aspects of my life out of my control and trying to understand why I may be feeling certain things. By writing down my repetitive thoughts It is my ultimate aim to try and expell them from my mind, the action of writing, using my hand and an instrument to physically exert words from my conscious is an incredible emotional release. I am trying to rationalise my inner conflicts and break them down into something understandable so I can start to come to terms with them and their presence within my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment