A little later on in the trip we visited the Guggenheim, I was incredibly excited about this, the Guggenheim is associated with such prestige and it's really something great to be involved in. Their current exhibit dealt a lot with Detournement and globalisation. We had to wait a little while before being allowed in due to a group of school children occupying the space. Eventually we were allowed access, instantly we were faced with a long room filled to the brim with naive colours, childish structures and interactive art. I was in my element, 'silly art that I can touch and play with' flooded through my brain.
It felt a bit strange being able to sit on the artwork, I mean, this is the Guggenheim! Security was alot less intrusive then the other gallery, which was bizaree, I mean. THIS IS THE GUGGENHEIM. I'm sitting on artwork, IN THE GUGGENHEIM. It was such a turn of events being able to move and climb on the artwork, the sense of freedom was almost too much for my little soul to take.
The walls were decorated in thousands of images, the crass nature in which they had been arranged was reminiscent of GCSE graphic design, awkwardly cropped and pixellated images splayed all over the place. There was something endearing about this, it made me feel at ease and less intimidated. Disguised in all the bright colours and naive immagery was a stern message of Globalisation being deployed, whether it reached any audience I don't know.
I just keep thinking about the art's accessability, would this exhibition be successful if the work had been off limits and controlled? Would it still deliever it's message had I not been able to lay around on the pillar shaped cushions? I don't think it would, I believe it's acessability was a major factor in it's success. And for that reason alone I left the place feeling elated. For once.
No comments:
Post a Comment