Yesturday we had some visiting post grad students in to give a talk on their work and general post graduate study.
I have to say that this was my favourite lecture yet, they talked of their work and the fine art post graduate study at the royal academy. The two girls whom gave the talk had such different work to chat about. The first round of work to look at was a collection of video art work based on the idea of 80's childrens television with a subtle weaving of folklore in it. Although I didn't think much of the singing and almost sea shanty style vocals within it, I could greatly appreciate the concept and quality of editing embedded in the work.
The next students work (I think her name was alex, don't quote me on that) was a mixutre of mediums and concepts. I found her very interesting as a person, I think I fell in love with her a little bit. She came from a very non-art background and I found that alot of her work was her dabbling around in life trying to find something that fits. Striving to locate that lifestyle art seems to offer. Her work was mostly site specific, basically her art would be created by her reacting to an environment or place. At one point she mentioned something that an artist had said to her, 'Just make artwork about something you're interested in' and she did, she was interested in the occult and therefore produced a body of work based on this.
It got me wondering about my own interests, and how much of a hard question that is. What are your interests? This questions pops up all over the professional sector of my life, interviews and university alike. It's such a difficult question for me to answer, what am I interested in? What interests me? Then I thought maybe the work I produce subliminally is directed by my interests. Life? Emotions? Circumstances? Social situations? I can't write that down as an interest...'social situations'. As my work is alot about myself, it's very self indulgent so maybe I'm interested in myself. Then I think, everybody is driven by their own agendas in life. So for now my interests involve myself, my own thoughts and development through life. Somewhat selfish I feel, but artists are. We create a career and living from our own indulgence into our mind. Were lucky to be born in England were this lifestyle is supported and validated. A little off topic, sorry.
All in all this lecture had some really thought provoking art works to talk about and I know a little of post grad study in the RA, I did briefly wonder about more studying after a couple of gap years. It's an option. It's provoked me to reflect on my practise and what actually does interest me, I don't have hobbies nor do I take an active role in any societies. What drives me? And in creating artwork, what is exposed about myself and my life?
No comments:
Post a Comment