Tuesday, 19 April 2011

I don't want to hurt anymore.

It's been around a month since I've updated this old girl, I have much to write about, Berlin, exhibitions and general updates.

I'm going to start off with an exhibition I visited last night in St. Brides church along Catherine street. It was showcasing Helen Jones' work and it went a little like this, we arrived early evening to the exhibit and we thusly entered the church, greeted by a variety of hanging textiles. They hung in the air alongside the pews in a washing line like formation, each fabric illustrated with a sentence bearing a message such as 'I don't want to hurt anymore' and 'the distance between us is killing us'. As I read each slogan my heart sank a little deeper into my chest, I was temporarily distracted by the offering of Doritos and juice moments later.

I eventually found myself sitting in a pew staring at all the messages festooned in the air. I started to think about how the setting of a church changed the meaning of the words, each sentence could almost be talking to God or asking God for help as churches are generally settings for people whom are searching for answers and aid, many were talking about feeling helpless and lost. A particular slogan read 'When he lied to me, I left him' I immediately associated this with a conversation with God. God promising something, happiness or health maybe, and when he didn't deliver the person may have left his faith.

Although I did come to learn that many of the words had no relation to religion or faith and that the words weren't ownership of the artist, I still found it interesting how the setting changed the message (for me, at least) that was delivered. Sometimes the intended deployment and concept can get lost along delivery and be interpreted differently, I very much embrace this loss, makes things more interesting I guess. 


The combination of emotive language and a setting that's a church carries a large responsibility to the audience to deliver information and knowledge. I felt like answers were going to be bestowed upon me, but as you read through the statements it becomes clear that they are also seeking truths. The two parties in this relationship are equally unknowing of answers. The bible is said to be a book of answers, refer to the scriptures for affirmation, in an increasingly apocalyptic style society such vital truths are sought after like gold dust, knowledge is power and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. 


Slightly wandered off topic there but to round up, I enjoyed this exhibition lots, the setting and the pieces themselves made me reflect on my own work and how delivery can alter the whole meaning of an artwork. The words hit a layer of my emotions I don't like to draw upon too often. And free juice is always a winner.

No comments:

Post a Comment